Wednesday 9 January 2008

HIV Testing

Yes, I, Eric Koay, had my blood taken, for HIV testing. This could be due to ONE of many reasons:

  • Intra-venous drug abuse
  • Unprotected sex with prostitutes
  • Euthanasia (not recommended)
  • For fun?
  • Needle-stick injury


Un-interestingly, it is for a needle-stick injury I experienced while treating one of my patients in the clinic. The queer thing that struck me was the 5 minutes conversation I had before my blood was taken for that test. Key points that struck me was the difference between UK and Malaysia yet again.

---


In UK :

Nurse : Hi my name is XXX and I need to ask you if you are comfortable with me taking your blood to test for HIV. Aslo in the event of the test coming back positive, do you have supportive network of friends and family who you can confide in? If you fully understand and consent to this procedure I will proceed now.

*takes blood*

Nurse : I will now assign you a code instead of your name so as to protect your identity. I will not disclose the results over the phone as this is a sensitive issue. I will call you in for an appointment next week, regardless if the result is a positive or negative, so please do not be alarmed if an appointment is made.

---

In Malaysia :

Nurse : Helo adik kasi tangan

*jabs hand with needle*

Nurse : Tak jadik, kasi tangan satu lagi

*takes blood*

Nurse : Ok pergi blah la you, bulan depan lu tengok itu The Star surat khabar. Klau lu mia nama ada dalam situ, lu ada AIDS lah

NB : The above scenario is a hyperball of what actually happens but you get the point

1 comment:

h.3.l.3.n said...

i also kena needle stick injury.. shud i get checked?? takut find out got HIv.. LOL